Improving Outreach In Plant Science- Workshop at ICAR 2021-Virtual
Jose Dinneny, Stanford (and former NAASC member) organized this workshop at ICAR 2021-Virtual. The workshop stemmed from his leadership of two NAASC activities on the topic of Outreach in Plant Science that occurred between 2018-2021, funded by NSF award* to PI Siobhan Brady and co-PI Joanna Friesner, for NAASC.
The guide on “Broadening the impact of plant science through innovative, integrative, and inclusive outreach”, published in Plant Direct, is linked below the ICAR 2021 workshop speaker list
- J. Dinneny (Stanford): Introduction and background
- T. Harris (WUSTL): Science outreach activities
- Y. Sun (Salk): Your support matters: strategies for retaining diverse scholars in higher education
- J. Alonso (NCSU): Empowering research and democratizing science with DIY technologies
- M. Gehan (DDPSC): Outreach and plant phenotyping
- P. Lemaux (UC Berkeley): Science communication, mentorship, public outreach venues, media interaction
- M. Edwards (Harvard): YouTube, socially responsible content, video production, funding your outreach project
- A. Stepanova (NCSU): Bringing science to the public
- R. Kariyat (UT-Rio Grande Valley): Science outreach @ Minority Serving Institutions: what works and what doesn’t.
NAASC publication in Plant Direct:
Broadening the impact of plant science through innovative, integrative, and inclusive outreach
*This activity was supported by NSF-RCN award no.1518280 to S. Brady and J. Friesner; Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the presenters and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.