How to Review a Manuscript, from MBoC
A 2011 editorial from the journal Molecular Biology of the Cell (MBoC).
Any jackass can trash a manuscript, but it takes good scholarship to create one (how MBoC promotes civil and constructive peer review)
- Review a manuscript only if you can do so objectively
- Review a manuscript only if you can do so in a timely manner
- Understand your role
- Recognize the authors’ efforts and the merits of the work while being clear in identifying faults
- Be critical, but be constructive
- Be judicious in suggesting additional work
- Leave it to future generations to judge a manuscript’s impact
- Be a champion for your field
- Remember that it is not your paper
- Be a good role model
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!