Recent Posts

Women's History Month: My Inspiring Women Role Models

I am Maryam Rahmati Ishka. I am a postdoc at Boyce Thompson Institute (BTI) in Ithaca, New York, doing research on plant stress resilience. I joined ASPB's Women in Plant Biology Committee in 2021 as an Early Career Representative. Being an international scholar woman from Iran, I (and other women similar…

Women's History Month: The Quiet Inspiration of Enid MacRobbie

I am Jenny Mortimer. I am an Associate Professor of Plant Synthetic Biology at the University of Adelaide, Australia, and an Adjunct Staff Scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. My group in the US uses synbio to redesign the plant cell wall to support the production of biofuels and bioproducts…

Celebrating the Life of a Scientist-Entrepreneur: Todd C. Mockler, PhD

On January 6, 2023, the plant community was deeply saddened by the passing of Dr. Todd C. Mockler, Member and Geraldine and Robert Virgil Distinguished Investigator at the Danforth Center since 2011. Todd was a wonderful colleague, collaborator, and friend to so many of us. He was a scientist-entrepreneur…

Gender Bias in Science

A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecraft published in 1792 and which explores women's education, is considered by many to be the starting point of the feminist movement. It was not until the early 20th century that women could access higher education, thanks to the first wave of feminism.…

On Intentional Inclusion: A Database of African Plant scientists and Organizations

Black History Month is an opportunity to highlight the importance of racial justice and equity and remind us that creating equitable and inclusive environments requires ongoing efforts beyond performative allyship. This is especially true in scientific institutions. While several important commitments…

A Glimpse of #iFANS2023 and Highlights of ISPP-Young Scientist Session

The 2023 International Conference on Food and Nutritional Security conference (IFANS) was jointly organized by National Agri-Food Biotechnology Institute (NABI), Mohali; Center of Innovative and Applied Bioprocessing (CIAB), Mohali; Indian Society for Plant Physiology (ISPP), New Delhi; Plant Tissue…

The Plant Cell’s Cover Image Continues Global Conversation Over AI-Generated Art

The January 2023 Focus Issue of The Plant Cell, one of ASPB’s high-impact journals, spotlights research focusing on the biology of plant response to abiotic stresses and explores the effects of climate change such as increased drought conditions and extreme heat.  It also features an innovative…

iFANS 2023: Time to Talk About Nutrition Security

The International Conference on Food And Nutritional Security (iFANS 2023) was held January 6-9, 2023. It was jointly organized with the 5th International Plant Physiology Congress and the 44th annual meeting of the Plant Tissue Culture Association (India). And it was huge. Imagine an event jointly organized…

An RNA world (Profile of David Baulcombe)

Annual Reviews editions typically start with a brief autobiographical essay by a noted scientist. The 2023 edition of Annual Reviews in Plant Biology includes a profile of David Baulcombe, the well-known scientist whose work was foundational in revealing the roles of small RNAs in gene regulation and…